Quick summary: Using a choice of complementary communication tools, students design and run a campaign at their school or in their community, promoting energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy. This activity could be done in conjunction with developing an energy reduction school plan.
Learning goals for this activity include:
- Identify positive personal behaviours and actions relating to energy and environmental sustainability.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to conduct and complete activity.
- Plan and participate in school or community activities for sustainable energy use.
- Communicate effectively in fair and considered class-wide discussion on issues.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS133)
Year 7 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
Year 8 Science
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS148)
Year 8 English
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor/Outdoor
Time required: 45+ mins
Learning areas addressed: English, Science Geography, Sustainability.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with campaign; liaise with fellow teachers or community with regards to campaign.
Resources required: Art materials, computers, printer, images, cameras etc.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity will need to be extended over several lessons.
Keyword: Energy, communication, conservation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.