Quick summary: Students collect data at home about their family’s energy consumption over one day. Students then identify potential energy reduction strategies.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- By analysing data collected about home energyuse, it is easier to find potential energy reduction solutions.
N.B. Confirm that this activity complies with your school’s privacy policies. Your school may require you to send a letter home with the students requesting that students collect data.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 Mathematics
- Pose questions and collect categorical or numerical data by observation or survey (ACMSP118)
- Describe and interpret different data sets in context (ACMSP120)
Year 5 Science
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE083)
Year 6 Mathematics
- Interpret and compare a range of data displays, including side-by-side column graphs for two categorical variables (ACMSP147)
Year 6 Science
- Energy from a variety of sources can be used to generate electricity (ACSSU219)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE100)
Year levels: 5 and 6
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: N/A – This activity should be set as homework or set over the period of one whole day.
Learning areas addressed: Mathematics, Science.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students in analysing their energy usage and participate in the activity if you are really keen! Engage students in a discussion around the results.
Resources required: Printed activity sheet, writing materials, one home electricity bill
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity should be set as homework or set over the period of one whole day.
Keywords: Energy, home, audit, conservation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.