Quick summary: The activity challenges the students to draw together all that they have learned about waste in the unit and communicate the 4Rs to others in the school or at home.
- Students understand that the 4Rs and other tools can help us to cut the amount of waste we throw away.
- Students learn that there are many ways that we can communicate these tools to others.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features and selecting print, and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1682)
- Use software including word processing programs with growing speed and efficiency to construct and edit texts featuring visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1685)
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 3 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS060)
Year 4 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts containing key information and supporting details for a widening range of audiences, demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features (ACELY1694)
- Use a range of software including word processing programs to construct, edit and publish written text, and select, edit and place visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1697)
Year 4 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Year 4 Geography
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: Several classes of 60 mins each
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate the process.
Resources required: Depending on the communication medium chosen by the students: art materials, computer with internet access, camera, movie camera.
Digital learning opportunities: Use digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: 4Rs, refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle, rubbish, waste.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.