Quick summary: Students work in small groups to identify as many water related issues as they can think of in 60 seconds. The small groups then collate their ideas to create a class list and add any additional issues they can recall. Students keep the class list to review at the close of the unit of work.
- Students develop their knowledge around water issues.
- Students relate water issues to the sustainable management of a renewable resource.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
Year 9 English
- Interpret, analyse and evaluate how different perspectives of issue, event, situation, individuals or groups are constructed to serve specific purposes in texts (ACELY1742)
Year 10 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE194)
Year 10 English
- Identify and analyse implicit or explicit values, beliefs and assumptions in texts and how these are influenced by purposes and likely audiences (ACELY1752)
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time requried: 15 mins.
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead discussion and help the class collate their list of water issues.
Resources required: writing materials and student worksheet.
Keywords: Water, issues, pre-test, brainstorm.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.