Quick summary: In this activity students will work in groups to research the freshwater situation in regions around the world. Students will be asked to produce both a report and a map of the region they investigate, and will use the map to create a freshwater map of the world in the classroom. They will then be asked to rank the region they investigated on its present and future water stress.
- Recognise the limited quantity of fresh water available for all life on Earth and that many parts of the world are experiencing freshwater stress.
- Communicate effectively in fair and considered class-wide discussion on issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to research and compile information on issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to communicate lessons from research through art or literacy exercises.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- Formulate questions orhypotheses that can be investigated scientifically (ACSIS164)
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
Year 10 Science
- Formulate questions or hypotheses that can be investigated scientifically (ACSIS198)
- Global systems, including the carbon cycle, rely on interactions involving the biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere (ACSSU189)
- People can use scientific knowledge toevaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE194)
Year 9 English
- Interpret, analyse and evaluate how different perspectives of issue, event, situation, individuals or groups are constructed to serve specific purposes in texts (ACELY1742)
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 120+ mins. Please note, this activity can be extended over several lessons if time permits.
Learning areas addressed: English, Geography, Health.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead students in a discussion around research.
Resources required: Internet and library access, world map and Student Worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for homework or extension.
Keywords: Water, Report, Map, Discussion, Issue, Weather, Lotus Diagram, Research, Report.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Copyright 2016© Cool Australia. You may view, display, printout and copy this material for non-commercial educational purposes provided you retain all acknowledgement associated with this material.