Quick summary: Students develop a communication plan aimed at inspiring more people to use green waste bins correctly.
Following these lessons plans is an ideal way for your students and the community to tune in to what happens to green waste once it is collected in a kerbside bin. The Back to Earth initiative is about connecting people with what happens to green waste once it leaves the garden, how it is processed, what it is used for at the end of this cycle and why its important to put the right things into the bin!
Join thousands of others who have learnt about the benefits of using their green waste service correctly, for their communities and for the planet. Don’t forget to check out the Back to Earth initiative website: www.backtoearth.vic.gov.au – to learn more.
- Students understand the environmental problems associated with sending green waste to landfill.
- Students recognise the benefits of recycling green waste.
- Students understand how to plan a communication project and how to communicate positive messages about recycling green waste to the community.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6, OI.7.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 Science
Year 8 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE135)
Year 7 & 8 Design and Technologies
- Critique needs or opportunities for designing and investigate, analyse and select from a range of materials, components, tools, equipment and processes to develop design ideas (ACTDEP035)
Topic: Back to Earth
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities:
Keywords: Green waste recycling, communication, song, slogan, rhyme.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.