Quick summary: Students work together as a class to develop a safety code for learning about solid waste.
- Students recognise that there are some hazards in learning about waste, but students can be safe if they follow some simple rules.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 English
- Learn extended and technical vocabulary and ways of expressing opinion including modal verbs and adverbs (ACELA1484)
Year 3 Science
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS060)
Year 4 English
- Incorporate new vocabulary from a range of sources into students’ own texts including vocabulary encountered in research (ACELA1498)
Year 4 Science
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS071)
Topic: Solid waste
Time required: 48 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – lead class-wide discussion and manage activity.
Resources needed: Paper and pens.
Digital technology opportunities:
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Safety: No special requirements.
Key words: Waste, safety, safety code.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Copyright 2016© Cool Australia. You may view, display, printout and copy this material for non-commercial educational purposes provided you retain all acknowledgement associated with this material.