Quick summary: Students use a thinking tool to organise their ideas about water. They explore the properties of water using a tub of water. They match the properties of water with words they commonly use.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- The many properties of water allow us to do many different things with it. Water is essential to the existence of life. There are many words that describe the properties of water.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 Science
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (ACSIS053)
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Year 4 Science
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (ACSIS064)
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Syllabus outcomes: ST2-11LW, ST2-4WS.
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor and outdoor
Time required: 40 mins
Learning areas addressed: English, Science, Geography.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead students in a discussion around water.
Resources required: Activity sheets and for each group:
- Small tub, ice cream container or plastic library tub with water
- One drinking straw per student
- A wiping cloth
- Small plastic cups or other plastic containers
- An old towel (for wiping hands)
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.