Quick summary: In this activity students are introduced to the topic of weather. Students begin by watching a short clip about weather and identifying the types of weather present in the video and those that are absent. Students then use photos from the Cool Australia Toolbox to create a poster or montage about weather.
In 2016, Earth Hour will celebrate the places we love that make our outdoor lifestyle and the Aussie way of life so great. Our beaches, rivers, reefs, snow-capped mountains, farmland and national parks uniquely distinguish Australia as the “lucky country”. You can become a part of the movement and start to take action on climate change by visiting earthhour.org.au to register for Lights Out or find your local event. Take part and register in Earth Hour Schools Day on Friday the 18th March and don’t forget to switch off on Earth Hour, on Saturday 19th March 8:30-9:30pm.
- Students recognise a range of different weather types.
- Student recognise the ways that weather can affect our environment.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.1.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 1 Science
- Observable changes occur in the sky and landscape (ACSSU019)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 Science
- Science involves asking questions about, and describing changes in, objects and events (ACSHE034)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-8ES.
Topic: Climate change
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate discussion and oversee activity.
Resources required: Internet access, student worksheet, access to printer.
Digital technology opportunities: Searching for and downloading images from the Cool Australia Digital Toolbox, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Weather, animals, plants, photos.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.