Quick summary: In this activity will work in groups or as a class to research the biotic and abiotic conditions required to support a shallow-water coral reef, and will use this research to create a 3D model of a reef. Students will be asked to work to a design brief and to provide supporting information to accompany their 3D design, and are asked to present their reef and justify their response to the design brief.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Earth Hour. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students recognise the range of abiotic and biotic conditions that are required to support a shallow-water coral reef.
- Students identify coral reef food chains.
- Students reflect upon the threats to coral reefs from human activities, including climate change.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.2.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 9 Science
- Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic components of the environment; matter and energy flow through these systems (ACSSU176)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS174)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-9WS, SC5-14LW.
Time required: 2 x 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – Assist students with research and design of coral reef model.
Resources required: Internet access, student worksheet, materials for 3D model (will vary according to available materials and student requirements).
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework or extension.
Keywords: Coral reef, 3D model, design.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.