Quick summary: This activity encourages students to consider the changes that have taken place over time in the way we dispose of items we no longer use or need. Students are also asked to imagine what life might be like in the year 2050 and to think of ways we may be able to re-use resources in innovative ways in the future.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in the Garage Sale Trail. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Don’t forget to register!
- Students learn that Australian Aboriginals lived very lightly on the land, using natural materials for their tools, clothing, shelters and weapons.
- Students discover that since European settlement, people in Australia have used increasing amounts of resources to support their lifestyle and have been producing increasing quantities of solid waste.
- Students will understand that the way that Australians dispose of their waste has changed dramatically over the past 60 years.
Duration of activity: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – gather materials, copy worksheets for students.
Resources required: scissors, pencils, pens, glue
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension and homework.
Keywords: Garage Sale Trail, consumption, waste, recycling, economics, community engagement, life cycle analysis, history, future, Indigenous Australians.
Australian Curriculum Content Descriptions:
Year 3 Science
- Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships (ACSHE050)
Year 3 History
- Sequence information about people’s lives and events (ACHASSI055)
- Pose questions to investigate people, events, places and issues (ACHASSI052)
Year 4 Science
- Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships (ACSHE061)
Year 4 History
- Sequence information about people’s lives and events (ACHASSI076)
- Pose questions to investigate people, events, places and issues (ACHASSI073)
Year 4 Geography
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.