Quick summary: This lesson provides follow-up activities to guide students in making meaningful evaluations of their Garage Sale Trail event. Further, it encourages them to consider and weigh up the benefits the initiative offers to individuals, communities and the environment. Students will be inspired to apply their personal and collective experience to evaluate the results of their Garage Sale Trail event. By examining the graphic organisers and model charts presented here, students will be able to create an informative visual text to communicate their own results. They will also discuss the flow-on effects of reselling certain categories of items in terms of actual economic and environmental benefits.
¬†Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in the¬†Garage Sale Trail.¬†You’ll¬†be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.¬†Don‚Äôt forget to register!¬†
This lesson is the last in a series of four that are designed to:
- inform students about the environmental problems of wastage and over-consumption
- inspire and equip students to host their own garage sale
- communicate the results of their efforts to various audiences and evaluate the impact of the initiative nationally
- Students identify the personal, social, economic and environmental impacts of reselling resources.
- Students evaluate the success of a community event that they planned and implemented.
- Students engage with written and graphically represented data.
- Students present statistical data using graphic organisers.
Duration of activity:¬†one 50-60 minute¬†lesson
Resources required:¬†2012 Garage Sale Trail‚Äôs Schools How To Guide, PDF:¬†2012 Garage Sale Trail.
Extension activity:¬†Teachers should use their discretion to extend capable students by allocating to them more complex tasks. Please read the¬†Teacher Worksheet¬†for further details. ¬†
Provisions for learning support:¬†Team students needing extra support with a friend to smooth the process of working through the activities. Assign additional time for the completion of written tasks or accept oral responses in the place of written answers for selected activities.
Key words: Garage Sale Trail, consumption, economics, community engagement, life cycle analyses.
Australian Curriculum Content Descriptions:
Year 7 Mathematics:
- Investigate, interpret and analyse graphs from authentic data¬†(ACMNA180)¬†
Year 8 Mathematics:
- Represent events in two-way tables and Venn diagrams and solve related problems (ACMSP292)¬†
Year 7 Economics and Business Skills:
- Interpret data and information displayed in different formats to identify relationships and trends (ACHES023)¬†
Year 8 Economics and Business Skills:
- Interpret data and information displayed in different formats to identify relationships and trends (ACHES034)¬†
Cool Australia‚Äôs curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.¬†