Quick summary: In this activity students look at the ways that the Earth has changed over time, and in particular, some of the changes that have been caused by human. Students are asked to analyse three images from the movie The Earth Wins, and then identify the ways that changes in global human populations have affected and been affected by elements of the scenarios in these images. Students are then asked to think about how the development of the Earth affects the growth or decline in human population.
- Students understand how the Earth has changed, how it continues to change, and the causes of some of the changes.
- Students recognise the relationship between the development of the Earth and human behaviour, including population growth.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Science
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE083)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 Science
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
- Sudden geological changes or extreme weather conditions can affect Earth’s surface (ACSSU096)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE100)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-7PW, ST3-6PW, ST3-4WS, ST3-10LW, ST3-11LW, ST3-9ES.
Topic: The Earth Wins
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity and guide discussions
Resources required: Access to student worksheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension and homework.
Keywords: Earth, changes, development, population, humans.
This lesson was created in collaboration with Helifilms to support learning from the film.
Would you like to bring your class to see The Earth Wins? It’s now available ‘on-demand’ to teachers across Australia. To register your interest, simply email [email protected], mention how many students you’re likely to bring and your ideal date/time for a screening. We’ll look into bringing The Earth Wins to a cinema close to you… wherever you may be in Australia.