Quick summary: In this lesson students explore the concept of landfill and gain an understanding of the environmental benefits of mobile phone recycling. They will develop the understanding and skills necessary to act responsibly and create texts that inform and persuade others to take action for sustainable futures.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in MobileMuster. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Take part in the Schools Recycling Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities today!
- Students understand the role and impact of resource use;
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted resources;
- Students will identify the environmental benefits of recycling mobile phones..
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 9 English:
- Create imaginative texts based on characters, settings and events from students’ own and other cultures using visual features, for example perspective, distance and angle (ACELT1601)
- Create texts that adapt language features and patterns encountered in literary texts, for example characterisation, rhyme, rhythm, mood, music, sound effects and dialogue (ACELT1791)
Year 9 Science:
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE228)
Year 10 English:
- Create literary texts by developing storylines, characters and settings (ACELT1794)
- Create literary texts that explore students’ own experiences and imagining (ACELT1607)
Year 10 Science:
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE230)
Topic: Consumption, National Recycling Week
Time required: 2 – 4 lessons
- Interactive whiteboard (IWB)
- Fact Sheet: Recycling Mobile Phones
- Presentation: Why is it important to recycle phones?
- Video: MobileMuster Recycling Program
- Worksheet: Mobile Phone Cartoon or computer access to Toon Doo and set up a free online account for comic creator: http://www.toondoo.com/
- Game: Mobile Phone Recycling
- Mix and Match worksheet and Mix and match answer sheet.
- Computer access for extension activity
Homework and extension opportunities: Access Hero Creator and students can create their own mobile phone recycling hero
Keywords: Waste, litter, e-waste, mobile phone, consumption, MobileMuster.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in MobileMuster You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.