Quick summary: In this activity students are encouraged to develop the value of personal contribution to the community and take an active part in making a difference to that community. They learn about product stewardship and themes around the importance of looking after, nurturing and taking responsibility for the environment are explored.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in MobileMuster. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Take part in the Schools Recycling Right Challenge for Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week. Register your lesson or other activities today!
- Students understand the role and impact of resource use;
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted resources;
- Students research the concept of product stewardship.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 9 & 10 Design and Technology
- Critically analyse factors, including social, ethical and sustainability considerations, that impact on designed solutions for global preferred futures and the complex design and production processes involved (ACTDEK040)
- Explain how products, services and environments evolve with consideration of preferred futures and the impact of emerging technologies on design decisions (ACTDEK041)
Year 9 Geography:
- The effects of the production and consumption of goods on places and environments throughout the world and including a country from North-East Asia (ACHGK068)
Year 10 Geography:
- The environmental worldviews of people and their implications for environmental management (ACHGK071)
Topic: Consumption, National Recycling Week
Time required: 2 – 4 lessons
- Interactive whiteboard (IWB)
- Fact Sheet: Product Stewardship
- Product stewardship act
- Go !Animate : online video presentation tool
- Computer access.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities, Interactive whiteboard (IWB), online video presentation tool.
Homework and extension opportunities: Ask students to describe an environment which is special to them, consider its attributes and what the future holds.
Keywords: Waste, litter, e-waste, mobile phone, consumption, MobileMuster.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.