Quick summary: This lesson is an opportunity for students to extend their knowledge and understanding about the environmental benefits of recycling mobile phones and printer cartridges. Students will play the online RecycleRescue game to stimulate discussion about the benefits of recycling. They will then work in small groups to prepare questions for their own “Recycle Rescue Trivia Quiz”. By creating their own quiz game, students will have the opportunity to work co-operatively, practice their research skills, learn how to organise information, develop their written and verbal communication skills, and appreciate the importance of rules and fair play.
This lesson has been developed as part of the Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week and also supports the Cartridges4PlanetArk program, which collects and returns cartridges for remanufacturing and recycling – therefore keeping them out of landfill. This lesson can be run at anytime though the year or can be run as part of Recycling Week (in November each year). Register your lesson or other activities so they can be counted towards the national achievement and to receive other free support materials.
- Students build their knowledge and understanding of recycling issues and the benefits of reducing waste
- Students practice their research skills
- Students improve their thinking and analytical skills.
- Students develop their written and verbal communication
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 English
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
- Use interaction skills when discussing and presenting ideas and information, selecting body language, voice qualities and other elements, (for example music and sound) to add interest and meaning (ACELY1804)
Year 8 English
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and evaluate texts by reflecting on the validity of content and the credibility of sources, including finding evidence in the text for the author’s point of view (ACELY1734)
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
- Use interaction skills for identified purposes, using voice and language conventions to suit different situations, selecting vocabulary, modulating voice and using elements such as music, images and sound for specific effects (ACELY1808)
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and creative thinking, Personal and social capabilities.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.7, OI.9
Syllabus Outcomes: EN4-2A, EN4-3B, EN4-4B.
Topic: Consumption, National Recycling Week
Unit of lessons: National Recycling week
Time required: Two classroom lessons
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – teachers required to facilitate and guide students in creating and playing the Trivia Quiz.
Resources required: Laptops with internet access (one device per pair of students).
Optional: Powerpoint presentation software, and a classroom projector or SMARTBoard.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities
Keywords: Waste, litter, recycling, e-waste, mobile phones, printer cartridges, consumption
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.