Quick summary: The aim of this activity is to help children make sense of mindfulness. Children will create a glitter jar and use it during the activity as a way of focusing their attention. They will develop skills in focus, resilience, emotional intelligence and regulation of the body and emotions.
|Activity developed in partnership with the|
Following this lesson is an ideal way for students to participate in Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day – the largest nature-care event in Australian schools. So, get growing! It only takes a minute to register for Schools Tree Day.
This activity is designed to help children develop mindful practices through sensory and play-based experiences.
EYLF Learning Outcome
Outcome 1: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
Outcome 3: Children have a strong sense of well being
Equipment needed: A container with a screw-on lid for each child (a jar or small bottle with a wide neck would work well – if this is not possible, then the jars can simply be shared among the children), hot water, glitter glue, glitter, clear dishwashing soap, glycerine, an old spoon or stick for stirring, super glue or a hot glue gun. For a natural alternative, you can replace glitter with bottlebrush flowers, fine sawdust, sweet wattle leaves, lilly pilly flowers or anything else suitable from your garden.
- Cool Australia factsheet – The Benefits of Mindfulness
- Cool Australia factsheet – The Importance of Mindfulness for Young Children
- Kids Matter – Mindfulness for Children
- Kids Matter -Your Little Ones are Your Greatest Teachers When it Comes to Mindfulness
- Smiling Mind
- Dan Seigel on Mindful Parenting
- Rick Hanson – Resources for Happiness, Love and Wisdom
- The Top 7 Non-Academic Skills for Raising the Mindful Child
- A Mindful Nation UK
- The Mental Health of Children and Adolescents Report 2015
- Mind Australia
- Mind Health Connect
Topic: Nature of Mindfulness.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.