Quick summary: Students learn about sustainability by looking at social equality and the imbalance of resources. They learn that rate and ratio problems can be solved using fractions or percentages and choose the most efficient form to solve a particular problem.
- Students learn and revise the use of ratios in everyday life
- Students use ratios, percentages and fractions to make calculations
- Students are learning about social equality and the imbalance of a minority chewing through more than one planet’s worth of resources.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Mathematics
- Recognise and solve problems involving simple ratios (ACMNA173)
- Solve a range of problems involving rates and ratios, with and without digital technologies (ACMNA188)
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium
Resources needed: Student Worksheet, internet to view ‘miniature village’ clip.
Extension opportunity: Students can examine other statistics in the video and compare to Australia’s population or even to other countries.
Time needed: 50 minutes
Key words: Mathematics, rates, ratio, sustainability, resources.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.