Quick summary: Students investigate their needs and wants. They begin by conducting a ’5 whys’ investigation into one personal need and want, and then participate in a class activity to classify various items, activities and services as either needs or wants. Finally students are asked to pick their top five needs and wants and rank them according to importance.
Bendigo Bank is passionate about connecting with and enriching communities across Australia. Cool Australia and Bendigo Bank share the common goal of bringing communities together through educational programs that help to build sustainable communities for the future. This lesson supports students to inquire into the big idea of ‘real wealth’. Students develop an understanding of shared values, and build their sustainable and ethical financial knowledge, equipping them with the skills to make sound financial decisions based on social, environmental and economical merit.
- Students understand the difference between needs and wants.
- Students understand that different people have different needs and wants.
- Students understand that they have to make choices about their needs and wants.
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Humanities and Social Sciences
- The difference between needs and wants and why choices need to be made about how limited resources are used (ACHASSK119)
Year 5 English
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (ACELY1703)
Year 6 Humanities and Social Sciences
- How the concept of opportunity cost involves choices about the alternative use of resources and the need to consider trade-offs (ACHASSK149)
Year 6 English
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
Syllabus Outcomes: EN3-1A.
Unit of lessons: Bendigo Bank Real Wealth
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – oversee activity and lead students in class activity and discussion.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework or extension.
Keywords: needs, wants, choice, Bendigo Bank.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.