Quick summary: Students investigate the social and environmental risks associated with global supply chains in more depth, and explore the concept of creating shared value as a means for addressing these risks while also considering the economic needs of businesses. They will carry out an inquiry that identifies the main participants and places involved in a global supply chain, as well as begin to identify some of the social and environmental issues arising from global supply chains.
Bendigo Bank is passionate about connecting with and enriching communities across Australia. Cool Australia and Bendigo Bank share the common goal of bringing communities together through educational programs that help to build sustainable communities for the future. This lesson supports students to inquire into the big idea of ‘real wealth’. Students develop an understanding of shared values, and build their sustainable and ethical financial knowledge, equipping them with the skills to make sound financial decisions based on social, environmental and economical merit.
- Students are introduced to the concept of shared value.
- Students consider the nature of a global supply chain and the environmental and social issues associated with global supply chains.
- Students explore the role of shared value in addressing the social and environmental problems associated with global supply chains.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6, OI.8..
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 9 Economics and Business
- Why and how participants in the global economy are dependent on each other (ACHEK039)
Year 10 Economics and Business
- Factors that influence major consumer and financial decisions and the short- and long-term consequences of these decisions (ACHEK053)
Syllabus Outcomes: C5.2 C5.3 C5.4
Unit of lessons: Bendigo Bank Real Wealth
Time required: 60 minutes + 10 minutes homework.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – oversee activity.
Resources required: Student Worksheet - one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet, device capable of presenting a website to the class. CSR and Shared Value, What is a Supply Chain?, Real Wealth Cheat Sheet, Glossary – Secondary.
Digital technology opportunities: Watching videos. Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: supply chain, global supply chain, transnational company, social, environmental, Bendigo Bank.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.