Quick summary: Students explore ways that they can cut the waste in their classroom by looking at the waste that they produce and then proposing solutions for reducing the waste through either recycling, composting or bringing less waste into the classroom.
- Students understand that we can reduce our classroom waste with a few simple strategies.
- Students recognise that they can be personally responsible for reducing the amount of waste they create.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 1 English
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning about key events, ideas and information in texts that they listen to, view and read by drawing on growing knowledge of context, text structures and language features (ACELY1660)
- Create short imaginative and informative texts that show emerging use of appropriate text structure, sentence-level grammar, word choice, spelling, punctuation and appropriate multimodal elements, for example illustrations and diagrams (ACELY1661)
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 English
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning and begin to analyse texts by drawing on growing knowledge of context, language and visual features and print and multimodal text structures (ACELY1670)
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Year 2 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate activity.
Resources required: Art materials, pens, pencils, paper, worksheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Safety: Students follow class safety code.
Keywords: Waste, containers, bins, recycling, school, classroom.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.