Quick summary: Students choose an area of water use and identify the criteria they would set for monitoring water use and identifying water waste. They compare the type of criteria they would use for different types of water consumption.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Applying criteria for monitoring water use for different applications.
- Criteria needs to be considered and justified before monitoring activities can be designed.
- Water consumption criteria includes the sustainable use of a renewable resource, the impact on the environment of removing the water, the environmental consequences of the runoff and disposal of water and the substances that is carried with.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence (ACSIS170)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
Year 9 Mathematics
- Identify everyday questions and issues involving at least one numerical and at least one categorical variable, and collect data directly from secondary sources (ACMSP228)
Year 10 Science
- Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence (ACSIS204)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
Year 10 Mathematics
- Evaluate statistical reports in the media and other places by linking claims to displays, statistics and representative data(ACMSP253)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-7WS, SC5-8WS.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45 mins.
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with research and engage students in a discussion around their findings.
Resources required: Materials already produced during this unit of work and the internet.
Homework and extension opportunities: Some of this work could be set as homework.
Keywords: Water, Research, Sustainable, Resource, Renewable, Waste, Criteria, Pairs.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.