Quick summary: Students complete a complex whole school energy audit. Using their data, students calculate usage, kilowatts and greenhouse gas emissions. Students make key recommendations on how energy use could be reduced at their school. They then link their findings to home-based projects that reduce energy usage, such as the Switch to Save program.
Activity created in partnership with
This lesson has been designed to support Bendigo Bank’s Switch to Save program. This program helps reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by switching halogen downlights for LED downlights for free. For every halogen globe switched Bendigo Bank donates $1 back to Victorian schools’ environmental projects.
- Students recognise the relationship between energy use and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Students understand the relationship between watts, watt hours and kilowatts.
- Students understand how to apply Emission Factor figures to the calculation of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Students recognise where energy consumption can be reduced at their school and home.
General capabilities: Sustainability OI.8.
Cross-curriculum priority: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Geography Year 9
- Collect, select, record and organise relevant geographical data and information, using ethical protocols, from a range of appropriate primary and secondary sources (ACHGS064)
Science Year 9
- Plan, select and use appropriate investigationmethods, including field work and laboratory experimentation, to collect reliable data; assess risk and address ethical issues associated with these methods (ACSIS165)
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE228)
Geography Year 10
- Collect, select, record and organise relevant data and geographical information, using ethical protocols, from a range of appropriate primary and secondary sources (ACHGS073)
- Reflect on and evaluate the findings of the inquiry to propose individual and collective action in response to a contemporary geographical challenge, taking account of environmental, economic and social considerations; and explain the predicted outcomes and consequences of their proposal (ACHGS080)
Topic: Switch to Save, Energy.
Time required: 60 + mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee students conducting audit.
Resources required: Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet. Internet access, school electricity and gas bills, factsheets: Energy cheat sheet, Calculating GHG emissions and Typical power ratings for appliances. You can also download the Switch to Save School Registration form.
Digital technology opportunities: Prezi presentation tool, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Switch to Save, energy, audit, greenhouse gas emissions, school, appliances, C02e emissions.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.