Quick summary: Students complete a lighting audit of all the lights that are on in their classroom. With this information students work together to create a plan for their classroom aimed at reducing energy related to lighting. Students then connect their learning to home-based energy saving programs, such as the Switch to Save program.
Activity developed in partnership with
This lesson has been designed to support Bendigo Bank’s Switch to Save program. This program helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions by switching halogen downlights for LED downlights for free. For every halogen globe switched Bendigo Bank donates $1 back to Victorian schools’ environmental projects.
- Students understand that lights use energy.
- Students understand that saving energy will help our environment.
- Students will understand how and why to do a simple audit.
- Students will use counting and addition skills to audit lights at school and at home.
General capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
- Establish understanding of the language and processes of counting by naming numbers in sequences, initially to and from 20, moving from any starting point (ACMNA001)
- Connect number names, numerals and quantities, including zero, initially up to 10 and then beyond (ACMNA002)
Year 1 Mathematics:
- Represent data with objects and drawings where one object or drawing represents one data value. Describe the displays (ACMSP263)
- Represent and solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of strategies including counting on, partitioning and rearranging parts (ACMNA015)
Year 1 Science:
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 2 Mathematics:
- Solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of efficient mental and written strategies (ACMNA030)
- Collect, check and classify data (ACMSP049)
Year 2 Science:
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-11LW, ST1-9ES, MAe‑1WM, MAe‑2WM, MAe‑4NA, MA1‑1WM, MA1‑2WM, MA1‑3WM, MA1‑5NA, MA1-17SP.
Topic: Switch to Save, Energy.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – oversee activity and lead students in audit.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Keywords: Switch to Save, energy, lighting, audit, school.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.