Quick summary: In this activity students analyse the use of music in the film The Earth Wins. Students begin by looking at two images from the film and explore what messages were conveyed by the use of music in combination with the imagery. Students then create their own short film or presentation using images from the film and are asked to accompany these images with music of their choosing. Students present their short films to the class.
- Students understand that there are messages in the movie that point to the relationship between humans and the environment.
- Students recognise that music is chosen to emphasise a point and support the messages in movies.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 English
- Use interaction skills when discussing and presenting ideas and information, selecting body language, voice qualities and other elements, (for example music and sound) to add interest and meaning (ACELY1804)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements to promote a point of view or enable a new way of seeing (ACELY1720)
Year 7 Geography
- The causes, impacts and responses to an atmospheric or hydrological hazard (ACHGK042)
- Reflect on their learning to propose individual and collective action in response to a contemporary geographical challenge, taking account of environmental, economic and social considerations, and predict the expected outcomes of their proposal (ACHGS054)
Year 8 English
- Use interaction skills for identified purposes, using voice and language conventions to suit different situations, selecting vocabulary, modulating voice and using elements such as music, images and sound for specific effects (ACELY1808)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content, including multimodal elements, to reflect a diversity of viewpoints (ACELY1731)
Year 8 Geography
- The causes, impacts and responses to a geomorphological hazard (ACHGK053)
- Reflect on their learning to propose individual and collective action in response to a contemporary geographical challenge, taking account of environmental, economic and social considerations, and predict the expected outcomes of their proposal (ACHGS062)
Topic: The Earth Wins
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – oversee activity
Resources required: Student worksheet, computer-based film or presentation programs.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities, equipment to make a movie or presentation (laptop, camera, iPhone, iMovie, PowerPoint).
Homework and extension opportunities:
Keywords: The Earth Wins, music, Coldplay, The Who.
This lesson was created in collaboration with Helifilms to support learning from the film.
Would you like to bring your class to see The Earth Wins? It’s now available ‘on-demand’ to teachers across Australia. To register your interest, simply email [email protected], mention how many students you’re likely to bring and your ideal date/time for a screening. We’ll look into bringing THE EARTH WINS to a cinema close to you… wherever you may be in Australia.