Activity details: Students suggest what kind of actions different groups can do to address the issues concerning water use and stormwater pollution. They list the actions they as individuals, their school, a typical home, water company and politicians can do. In rural areas, farming activities can also be included.
Learning goals for this activity include:
1. Students describe solutions to less water consumption and stormwater pollution from a variety of perspectives.
2. Different groups within the community have different levels of influence when solving issues.
3. The problems and solutions still relate back to working with the water cycle.
4. Even renewable resources have to be managed sustainably.
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Duration of activity: 30 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Science, Civics and Citizenship.
Teacher input: Keep activity open ended, bring students ideas together at the end of the activity.
Resources needed: Internet.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Australian National Curriculum:
Year 7 Science:
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions (ACSIS145)
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS148)
Year 7 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
Year 8 Science:
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions(ACSIS130)
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS133)
Year 8 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and evaluate texts by reflecting on the validity of content and the credibility of sources, including finding evidence in the text for the author’s point of view (ACELY1734)
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.