Year levels: 7 and 8
Activity details: Students investigate and compare ecosystems.
Learning goals for this activity include:
1. Identify major features of ecosystems to distinguish between them.
2. Apply the concept of ecosystems to familiar locations.
3. Understand that small changes within an ecosystem can impact on many of the plants and animals that make up the ecosystem.
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Duration of activity: 60 mins+
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, English, ICT.
Teacher input: Assist students in understanding the concept of ecosystems.
Resources needed: Internet and library access and writing materials or tablets if available.
Homework and extension opportunities: Some parts of this activity can be set as homework.
Australian Curriculum Link:
Year 7 Science:
- There are differences within and between groups of organisms; classification helps organise this diversity (ACSSU111)
- Interactions between organisms can be described in terms of food chains and food webs; human activity can affect these interactions (ACSSU112)
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions (ACSIS130)
Year 8 Science:
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions (ACSIS145)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC4-7WS, SC4-14LW, SC4-15LW.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.