100% Evidence-based Program
Cool Australia is backed by research and evidence. We check in with our educators regularly by commissioning in-depth qualitative, quantitative and focus group research to confirm that we’ve got the right stuff.
Teachers are the biggest influence on student learning, but they need support to provide high quality, meaningful education to all students, regardless of their geographical or socio-economic situation.
- 80% of teachers use Google to find resources (as limited resources are provided by schools)1
- 45% of teachers work outside their field of expertise2
- 25% of students drop out of school before their final year3
- 76% find their workload unmanageable4
- 98% increase in awareness and knowledge5
- 97% changed their attitude and outlook5
- 93% increase in preparedness to act5
- 96% improvement in critical thinking skills5
Cool Australia is a not-for-profit education organisation with an open, creative mindset and a contemporary pedagogical approach. Our Mission is to up-skill educators to become the designers of exceptional learning for all young Australians. Our vision is to be the leader in real world learning.
Click here to download Our Cool Story.
We check in with our educators regularly by commissioning in-depth qualitative, quantitative and focus group research to confirm that we’ve got the right stuff. That we’re meeting the need and that we continue to measure our impact on educators and students. This is what our educators told us in 2020.
Click here to download the Lonergan Research into Cool Australia’s social impact.
Our Annual Report – 2019
Cool Australia has been supporting teachers since 2008, providing them with learning activities and resources that make teaching and understanding real world scenarios as easy as possible.
This Impact Report outlines how Cool Australia continues to grow; reaching more teachers and more students each month.
Click here to download the 2019 report.
In this research, Australian teachers were consulted to identify the most useful elements of website design, in order to inform resource providers and website designers on factors to help make their sites as accessible as possible.
The most comprehensive, easiest to navigate, most relevant, and most engaging for their students were Cool Australia and ABC Splash.
Click here to download the report of teacher assessments of the usability of websites and online resources which support Education for Sustainability.
Sweeney Research conducted an extensive pro bono research assignment for Cool Australia with over 500 educators. This research is critical in order to continue to improve our resources and better understand the success and effectiveness of our resources on Australian students. We understand that if you’re not measuring your impact, you have no impact.
The research shows that our impact is great.
Click here to download the research (682kb).
Main findings of the Australian Council for Educational Research (2011): Evaluation of the Cool Australia Pilot Schools Program.
“Cool Australia’s curriculum resources helped teachers be better at their job and feel confident about teaching sustainability. Students changed their thinking and actions (both at home and school) around energy, water, waste and biodiversity”.
Click here to download the executive summary.
1. Australian Education For Sustainability Alliance (2014), ‘Education For Sustainability and The Australian Curriculum Project: Final Report For Research Phases 1 to 3’.
2. Australian Council For Educational Research (2016), ‘Out-of-field Teaching in Australia’.
3. The Mitchell Institute (2015) ‘Educational Opportunity In Australia’.
4. The Educator Australia (2020) ‘Teachers ‘overworked and underappreciated’ – Monash University Research.
5. Lonergan Research – Cool Australia’s Social Impact Report (2020) – Chris Lonergan and Daphne Labour