Quick summary: Students go outside to observe natural sources of energy. They analysis the energy they use in their day to day life and think about the energy source.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Many of the things we need to run our lives, school and classroom require energy.
- Most of our energy needs today come from non-renewable sources but it is possible that we can source all our energy needs from renewable sources.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 Science
- A change of state between solid and liquid can be caused by adding or removing heat (ACSSU046)
- Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships (ACSHE050)
Year 3 Science
- Earth’s surface changes over time as a result of natural processes and human activity (ACSSU075)
- Science involves making predictions and describing patterns and relationships (ACSHE061)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST2-4WS, ST2-12MW, ST2-8ES.
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Outdoor
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with Student Worksheet.
Resources required: Student Worksheet, ipad, laptops.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Energy, change, appliances.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.