Quick summary: Students use this activity to draw conclusions about viable ways of reducing energy use at school and at home. They use their conclusions to create a class booklet, with each student contributing a page.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Often we need to understand the problem, and then come to a conclusion so we can develop a solution. Reducing energy waste can be done by everyone.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features and selecting print,and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1682)
Year 3 Science:
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS060)
Year 4 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts containing key information and supporting details for a widening range of audiences, demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features (ACELY1694)
Year 4 Science:
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS071)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST2-4WS, EN2-2A.
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: English, Sustainability, Geography.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead a brief discussion on energy saving ideas. Oversee creation of booklet.
Resources required: Art and writing materials.
Keywords: Energy, energy waste, conservation.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.