Quick summary: Students use their prior knowledge to organise their ideas about their reliance on energy. They sort ten energy items into columns based on necessity.
Learning goals for this activity include:
- Students recognise the role of energy and our dependence on various energy sources.
- Students use their knowledge as the basis of new learning and communicate effectively with others.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE228)
Year 10 Science
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE230)
- Energy conservation in a system can be explained by describing energy transfers and transformations (ACSSU190)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-11PW.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 20 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Science.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Help students value their prior knowledge.
Resources required: Writing materials or internet access for online student worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.