Quick summary: Students collect data completing a spot audit on all the lights that are on in their classroom and the school.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Data collection can help find out if electricity is being wasted in the school.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Mathematics
- Represent data with objects and drawings where one object or drawing represents one data value. Describe the displays (ACMSP263)
Year 1 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
Year 1 English
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
Year 2 Mathematics
- Collect, check and classify data (ACMSP049)
Year 2 Science
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Year 2 English
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor/Outdoor
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: Mathematics.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead the students in a preliminary discussion around energy use. Take the students on a walk around the school looking for lights, including in staff only rooms.
Resources required: Smartboard or digital projector if available, print out of Student Worksheets, clipboards and pencils or portable tablet.
Keywords: energy, lights, audit, electricity.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.