Quick summary: Students develop a school program that will help reduce the amount of energy used. Most of the program will focus on only having appliances on when they are needed.
Learning goals for this activity include:
- Bring together all their findings and understandings to create a school energy saving plan or improve the school’s current plan.
- To make connections between behaviors and energy reduction.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively to research and compile information on issues.
- Communicate their plan in a well presented document for consideration by the school community.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science
- Science understanding influences the development of practices in areas of human activity such as industry, agriculture and marine and terrestrial resource management (ACSHE121)
Year 7 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
Year 8 Science
- Science understanding influences the development of practices in areas of human activity such as industry, agriculture and marine and terrestrial resource management (ACSHE136)
Year 8 English
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 60+ mins, this activity may take several lessons.
Learning areas addressed: Geography, Science, Interpersonal Development.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with their plan and presenting it to the school community.
Resources required: Computers and applications for creating the plan.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.