In this lesson, students will be immersed in and connect with the documentary film 2040. Students begin by exploring and defining key concepts and challenges from the 2040 documentary. They then work in groups in a class jigsaw activity to analyse one particular challenge and then share their conclusions with the class. Working in the same groups, students will then participate in a brainstorm activity to generate solutions to their challenge, again sharing these with the class.
Students are provided with scaffolding to enhance their viewing and reflecting on the 2040 documentary film.
- Students will understand some of the key concepts and messages of the 2040 documentary film.
- Students will understand how a documentary film can engage, inform and inspire.
- Students will understand that solutions to global environmental and social challenges already exist.
- Topic: Sustainability.
- Unit of work: 2040 – Watching the Film – Years 5–10
- Time required: 162 mins (includes time to view the film).
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion, lead students in activities.
- Keywords: 2040 documentary, future, energy, transport, food production.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- Butcher’s paper, marker pens.
- Critically Viewing a Documentary Film Factsheet.
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Find out how to see the film here. 2040 is currently only available in NZ cinemas and you can make a group booking for your class at your local cinema. The Schools Version of the DVD and BluRay will be released in New Zealand on 7th November 2019. This version includes an educational licence that covers classroom use and on-site screenings for the school community. To pre-order a copy for your school, please email: [email protected].
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Cool Australia, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.