In this lesson, students will be immersed in and connect with the documentary film 2040, focusing on the topic of food. Students begin by thinking about where our food comes from, and then work in groups to explore some of the big issues relating to food, including waste, packaging, transport, farming, and healthy eating. Students undertake research into a big issue and then work collaboratively as a class to create a montage of big issues.
Students then explore some of the solutions to these big issues, undertaking research and sharing what they have learnt through a presentation. Finally, students are asked to work collaboratively to create their own food 2040 script and scene.
- Students understand some of the big issues around food sustainability.
- Students understand that solutions to the big issues around food sustainability already exist.
- Topic: Sustainability, Consumption.
- Unit of work: 2040 – Integrated Unit – Years 5 & 6
- Time required: 100+ mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activities and facilitate class discussions.
- Keywords: 2040 documentary, food, farming, waste, packaging, health, montage, presentation, script.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- Presentation Assessment Rubric.
- One of the following factsheets for each group:
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Find out how to see the film here. 2040 is currently only available in NZ cinemas and you can make a group booking for your class at your local cinema. The Schools Version of the DVD and BluRay will be released in New Zealand on 7th November 2019. This version includes an educational licence that covers classroom use and on-site screenings for the school community. To pre-order a copy for your school, please email: [email protected].
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Cool Australia, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.