In this lesson, students will investigate the environmental benefits that arise from empowering women and girls. They will access statistics about the education of women and represent this data using back-to-back stem and leaf plots and histograms.
They will also undertake an action that will inform the school community about what they have learned or how they can support the empowerment and education of girls around the world.
- Students will be able to identify questions and issues involving statistics
- Students will be able to collect data directly from secondary sources
- Students will be able to communicate data, with the aim of influencing an audience
- Topic: Learning Through Film, Climate Change, Social Issues, Sustainability
- Unit of work: 2040 – Mathematics – Years 7 to 10
- Time required: 140+ mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – lead class discussion, support students with new vocabulary and concepts, assist students with new and familiar mathematical concepts.
- Keywords: 2040 Documentary, climate change, girls’ education, women and girls, empowerment, gender equality, sustainability, education, family planning, back-to-back stem and leaf plots, histograms.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- Two pieces of graph paper per student or access to a device with Excel.
- Device capable of presenting to the class, with internet access.
- Student devices with internet access.
- Dictionaries (optional).
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Find out how to see the film here. 2040 is currently only available in NZ cinemas and you can make a group booking for your class at your local cinema. The Schools Version of the DVD and BluRay will be released in New Zealand on 7th November 2019. This version includes an educational licence that covers classroom use and on-site screenings for the school community. To pre-order a copy for your school, please email: [email protected].
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Cool Australia, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.