In this lesson, students will examine a persuasive text structure and apply it to the empowerment of women and girls. First, students will brainstorm problems that women and girls currently face and potential solutions to these problems. Then, students will be introduced to Monroe’s Motivational Sequence.
Students will describe how a video utilises this sequence and explain the impacts. Then students will create their own texts, utilising this structure, about the empowerment of women and girls.
- Students understand some of the challenges that women and girls currently face
- Students understand and apply the five stages of Monroe’s Motivational Sequence
- Students understand how a text’s structure and features impact an audience
- Students create their own persuasive text incorporating ideas from research
- Topic: Learning Through Film, Climate Change, Sustainability, Social Issues.
- Unit of work: 2040 – English – Years 7 to 10
- Time required: 120 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate learning and analysis tasks.
- Keywords: 2040, documentary, film, women, girls, empowerment, persuasive writing, text analysis, climate change, sustainability, gender equality.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- Devices for research for students or student groups.
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Find out how to see the film here. 2040 is currently only available in NZ cinemas and you can make a group booking for your class at your local cinema. The Schools Version of the DVD and BluRay will be released in New Zealand on 7th November 2019. This version includes an educational licence that covers classroom use and on-site screenings for the school community. To pre-order a copy for your school, please email: [email protected].
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Cool Australia, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.