In this lesson, students will view excerpts from 2040 then access and evaluate statistical reports in the media and other places about sustainable transport of the future, and they will use the data to construct scatter plots, make comparisons and draw conclusions.
- Students will be able to investigate statistics and examine their meaning/relevance
- Students will be able to construct scatter plots and examine and comment upon the relationships between variables
- Topic: Learning Through Film, Sustainability, Climate Change
- Unit of work: 2040 – Mathematics – Years 7 to 10
- Time required: 180 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium-High (Facilitation of class discussion, guidance for a research project, instructing, guiding and assisting with manipulating statistical data.)
- Keywords: Climate change, scatterplots, emissions, transport, statistics.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- Enough internet-enabled devices for paired research.
- A3 sheet of paper (1 per 3-4 students). Rulers.
- Several lengths of string or cotton (optional).
- Scatterplot Factsheet – to project for the class or one copy per two students.
- Climate Change Factsheet – to project for the class or one copy per two students (optional).
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Find out how to see the film here. 2040 is currently only available in NZ cinemas and you can make a group booking for your class at your local cinema. The Schools Version of the DVD and BluRay will be released in New Zealand on 7th November 2019. This version includes an educational licence that covers classroom use and on-site screenings for the school community. To pre-order a copy for your school, please email: [email protected].
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Cool Australia, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.