In this lesson, students will access information about seaweed farming and greenhouse gas emissions and use percentages, ratios, and fractions to solve problems.
Students will also investigate the relationship between seaweed farming, the health benefits of eating seaweed and climate change. They will use then this information to develop an infographic that uses numbers to convince their peers to eat more seaweed.
- Students will understand fractions, decimals and percentages
- Students will understand simple ratios
- Students will learn how seaweed farming can help reduce CO2 emissions and therefore help combat climate change
- Students will understand the relationship between seaweed farming, the health benefits of eating seaweed and climate change
- Topic: Learning Through Film, Ocean Conservation, Climate Change, Sustainability
- Unit of work: 2040 – Mathematics – Years 7 to 10
- Time required: 150 mins.
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion, support students in understanding climate change terminology, facilitate collaborative learning, guide students in developing an appropriate infographic.
- Keywords: Climate change, seaweed farming, carbon emissions, greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, drawdown, 2040 documentary, sustainability, ocean conservation, habitat.
To view our Australian Curriculum alignment click here.
To view our NZ Curriculum alignment click here.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- Devices capable of producing infographics.
- Printer access (optional).
- Poster paper OR liquid chalk and a large window.
- Sticky notes.
- Seaweed articles – 5 sets of the 5 articles.
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Find out how to see the film here. 2040 is currently only available in NZ cinemas and you can make a group booking for your class at your local cinema. The Schools Version of the DVD and BluRay will be released in New Zealand on 7th November 2019. This version includes an educational licence that covers classroom use and on-site screenings for the school community. To pre-order a copy for your school, please email: [email protected].
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Cool Australia, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.