Quick summary: Using the student worksheet students gather data to find out the number of different appliances in their school. Initially, student estimate the number of different appliances then they count and calculate recording their data.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Students learn that we can better understand how to use energy by collecting data about the appliances being used.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 Mathematics
- Collect data, organise into categories and create displays using lists, tables, picture graphs and simple column graphs, with and without the use of digital technologies (ACMSP069)
- Interpret and compare data displays (ACMSP070)
Year 3 Science
- Use a range of methods including tables and simple column graphs to represent data and to identify patterns and trends (ACSIS057)
Year 4 Mathematics
- Construct suitable data displays, with and without the use of digital technologies, from given or collected data. Include tables, column graphs and picture graphs where one picture can represent many data values (ACMSP096)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of different displays in illustrating data features including variability (ACMSP097)
Year 4 Science
- Use a range of methods including tables and simple column graphs to represent data and to identify patterns and trends (ACSIS068)
General capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Time required: 60 + mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – Ask all school staff about the level of disruption that is acceptable to complete the audit. The audit will require students to enter most accessible rooms in the school. Lead students in class discussion around activity.
Resources required: Printed worksheets, writing materials.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for homework.
Keywords: Energy, audit, electrical appliances, saving.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.