Quick summary: Students confirm the rules that apply in their classroom about switching and adjusting classroom appliances.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Students begin to understand that rules are required to keep students safe and also to save energy in the classroom.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning about key events, ideas and information in texts that they listen to, view and read by drawing on growing knowledge of context, text structures and language features (ACELY1660)
Year 1 Science
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 English
- Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning and begin to analyse texts by drawing on growing knowledge of context, language and visual features and print and multimodal text structures (ACELY1670)
Year 2 Science
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor/Outdoor
Time required: 20 mins
Learning areas addressed: English, Health, Science, Geography, ICT.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead the students in problem solving on class rules balancing energy savings, safety and an optimal working environment.
Resources required: Smartboard or digital projector if available, print out of Student Worksheets, clipboards and pencils or portable tablet.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.