Quick summary: Students use text and illustrations to communicate behaviors that will reduce energy use in the school and home. Their text and illustration will be collated to become part of a class book.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Text with illustrations can show other people how to reduce their energy use.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 1 English
- Create short imaginative and informative texts that show emerging use of appropriate text structure, sentence-level grammar, word choice, spelling, punctuation and appropriate multimodal elements, for example illustrations and diagrams (ACELY1661)
Year 2 Science
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Year 2 English
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: English, Science, Geography, Art
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead a brief discussion on energy reduction ideas. Oversee creation of booklet.
Resources required: Art and writing materials equipment for consolidating pages into a book.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Energy, electricity, student action, behaviour change.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.