Quick summary: The students play a card game to apply their understandings of the 4Rs.
- Students recognise that by using the 4Rs, we can all cut the amount of solid waste we produce.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.6.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 3 English
- Understand that successful cooperation with others depends on shared use of social conventions, including turn-taking patterns, and forms of address that vary according to the degree of formality in social situations (ACELA1476)
Year 3 Science
- A change of state between solid and liquid can be caused by adding or removing heat (ACSSU046)
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Year 4 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Year 4 Geography
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – lead discussion on the 4Rs and direct game.
Resources required: Card, scissors, one 4Rs game worksheet for each group. Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Key words: Waste, 4Rs, refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.