Quick summary: Students brainstorm examples of each of the 4Rs – Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – and explore how they can apply the 4Rs to their own lives.
- Students understand the four steps to reducing waste: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- Students recognise their own roles in reducing waste.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English:
- Clarify understanding of content as it unfolds in formal and informal situations, connecting ideas to students’ own experiences and present and justify a point of view (ACELY1699)
Year 5 Science
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
Year 6 English:
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Year 6 Science:
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: 45 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – facilitate activity.
Resources required: Butchers’ paper, Blu Tac, felt markers.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: 4Rs, refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle, waste.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.