Quick summary: Students redesign their school to make it as energy efficient as possible, presenting their plan as a model or chart.
Learning goals for this activity include:
- Use sustainable design principles to redesign a familiar environment such as the school to minimize energy use.
- Show that many design aspects need to complement each other.
- Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively to follow instructions and complete activity.
- Communicate effectively in an oral presentation.
- Communicate effectively in fair and considered class-wide discussion on issue.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE120)
Year 7 English
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
Year 8 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE135)
Year 8 English
- Analyse and evaluate the ways that text structures and language features vary according to the purpose of the text and the ways that referenced sources add authority to a text (ACELY1732)
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45+ mins
Learning areas addressed: Design, Creativity and Technology, Interpersonal Development, Communication.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead students in class discussion around energy efficiency, assist students with design and efficiency ideas.
Resources required: Art materials, Internet, Cool Australia Research Learning Tool
Homework and extension opportunities: Parts of this activity can be set as homework
Keywords: Green design, sustainable design, school improvement, energy efficient.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.