Activity details: Students choose an issue related to biodiversity that needs serious attention. They use their understanding of biodiversity to describe the issue and how their potential solutions might resolve the issue. Students demonstrate that an understanding of biodiversity is essential if conservation is going to be effective.
Learning goals for this activity include:
1. Understanding biodiversity helps to understand conservation issues and find potential solutions.
2. Evaluating people’s claims about an issue on the basis of supporting scientific evidence.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Duration of activity: 120 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, English.
Teacher input: Facilitate class discussion.
Resources needed: Internet access.
Homework and extension opportunities: Some of the research and writing can be done at home.
Keywords: Biodiversity, ecosystem, solutions, communication.
Australian Curriculum Link:
Year 9 Science:
- Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence (ACSIS170)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
Year 9 English:
- Interpret, analyse and evaluate how different perspectives of issue, event, situation, individuals or groups are constructed to serve specific purposes in texts (ACELY1742)
Year 10 Science:
- Use knowledge of scientific concepts to draw conclusions that are consistent with evidence (ACSIS204)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
Year 10 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to compare and contrast information within and between texts, identifying and analysing embedded perspectives, and evaluating supporting evidence (ACELY1754)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-8WS, SC5-7WS, EN5-2A.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.