Quick summary: In this English lesson students investigate the meaning of altruism. They make connections between this theme and the characterisation of various key people in the feature documentary ‘A Fire Inside’. These inferences are then used to make larger statements about what it truly means to be altruistic.
- Students can make connections between characters and themes
- Students can compare and contrast characters’ actions and dialogue
- Students can analyse the theme of altruism.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 10 English:
- Evaluate the social, moral and ethical positions represented in texts (ACELT1812)
- Use comprehension strategies to compare and contrast information within and between texts, identifying and analysing embedded perspectives, and evaluating supporting evidence (ACELY1754)
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756).
Syllabus outcomes: EN5-1A, EN5-2A
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Understanding, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Capability, Literacy, Personal and Social Capability.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 10 English achievement standards:
By the end of Year 10, students evaluate how text structures can be used in innovative ways by different authors. They explain how the choice of language features, images and vocabulary contributes to the development of individual style.
They develop and justify their own interpretations of texts. They evaluate other interpretations, analysing the evidence used to support them. They listen for ways features within texts can be manipulated to achieve particular effects.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work A Fire Inside: Feature Documentary Years 7 to 10.
Time required: 80 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Post-it notes, whiteboard and markers
- PowerPoint presentation: A Fire Inside: Investigating the reasons why humans help and the meaning of altruism
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Keywords: Altruism, characters, analysis, documentary, help, community engagement, bushfires, Australia.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.