Quick summary: This Health and Physical Education (HPE) lesson introduces the PERMA model of wellbeing. There are five building blocks that enable flourishing – Positive Emotion, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning, and Accomplishment (hence PERMA™) – and there are techniques to increase each. This lesson focuses on the PERMA model’s ‘Positive Emotion and Relationships’ aspect with case studies used from ‘A Fire Inside’. Students identify aspects of positive relationships and examine their impact on an individual’s wellbeing. Using the information they have gained in the lesson, students work together to make proposals to improve wellbeing at their school.
- Students understand the 5 elements of the PERMA model
- Students can identify evidence of positive relationships impacting upon wellbeing
- Students can propose strategies to build and utilise positive relationships in times of stress.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 9 & 10 Health and Physical Education (HPE):
- Evaluate factors that shape identities and critically analyse how individuals impact the identities of others (ACPPS089)
- Plan, implement and critique strategies to enhance the health, safety and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS096).
Syllabus outcomes: PDHPE5.1, PDHPE5.6
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 9 & 10 HPE achievement standards: By the end of Year 10, students critically analyse contextual factors that influence identities, relationships, decisions and behaviours. They analyse the impact attitudes and beliefs about diversity have on community connection and wellbeing. They evaluate the outcomes of emotional responses to different situations.
Topic: PERMA model
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work: A Fire Inside: Feature Documentary Years 7 to 10.
Time required: 100 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student
- Supplies for poster creation (if desired as an option for Part C)
Keywords: PERMA, volunteering, health, wellbeing, positive, community, bushfires.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.