Quick summary: Students consolidate all they have learned about litter in the school and design and complete a communication project that will raise awareness of litter in the school. They also use the results from the three earlier activities to identify some key recommendations to cut the litter in the school.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Litter is unsightly, expensive to clean up, pollutes water ways and can harm people and animals.
- There are many ways that we can communicate to others about the benefits of not littering.
Year 7 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasivetexts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
- Use a range of software, including word processing programs, to confidently create, edit and publish written and multimodal texts(ACELY1728)
Year 7 Science
- Science understanding influences the development of practices in areas of human activity such as industry, agriculture and marine and terrestrial resource management (ACSHE121)
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS133)
Year 8 English
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
- Use a range of software, including word processing programs, to create, edit and publish textsimaginatively (ACELY1738)
Year 8 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE135)
- Science understanding influences the development of practices in areas of human activity such as industry, agriculture and marine and terrestrial resource management (ACSHE136)
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS148)
Module: Solid Waste
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor.
Duration of activity: Several classes of 30 mins each.
Learning areas addressed: English, Mathematics, The Arts.
Teacher input: Facilitate the process.
Resources needed: Depending on the communication medium chosen by the students: art materials, computer with internet access, camera, movie camera.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Safety: Students should follow the Class Waste Safety Code when working with any waste materials or containers.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.