Quick summary: In this activity your class will look for litter hot spots around their school, taking photos of these sites to help explain why this litter is there. Students will then suggest solutions to reduce this litter.
- Students understand that they can take leadership around a waste issue, litter, in their school.
- Students learn to propose and actions to address the issue of waste.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
- Use a range of software including word processing programs with fluency to construct, edit and publish written text, and select, edit and place visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1707)
Year 5 Science:
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE081)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English:
- Create literary texts that adapt or combine aspects of texts students have experienced in innovative ways (ACELT1618)
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Year 6 Science:
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
- Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to represent and describe observations, patterns or relationships in data using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS107)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: Several session of 48 mins
Level of teaching scaffolding: Medium – assist students with identifying litter hot spots and developing solutions.
Resources required: Digital or video cameras, or mobile phones with a camera or tablet devices, student worksheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Video and camera recording, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity can be extended over several lessons. This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Safety: Follow the Class Safety Code.
Keywords: Litter, waste, school, video, photo.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.